The South Korean government will make a decision in November on whether it will allow initial coin offerings (ICOs) again in the country, a top-level official has said.
Hong Nam-ki, head of the office for government policy coordination, told lawmakers during the National Assembly’s annual audit on government actions that regulators in the country have been reviewing the topic in recent months, as KryptoHerald Korea reported on Thursday.
Hong added that the Financial Services Commission (FSC), South Korea’s market watchdog, has been conducting surveys on ICOs since September. “We are going to form the position of the government in November based on the results of the investigation at the end of October,” he went on to say.
Hong was responding to the question on ICO permission raised by Jeon Haecheol, a lawmaker from the ruling Democratic Party, who voiced support for lifting the current ICO ban. Jeon said during the questioning:
“If we waste time, the blockchain industry could face huge difficulties. We need to look at very realistic and specific ways to nurture the blockchain industry, and I think permitting ICO is one of them.”
In September 2017, the FSC notably issued a ban on domestic ICOs, following a similar move made by regulators in China. However, Hong said some crypto projects continued selling tokens to domestic residents by registering their businesses overseas.
In May this year, lawmakers from the National Assembly, the country’s legislative arm, pushed for the removal of the ICO ban. And last month, KryptoHerald reported the FSC was investigating token sales projects with a questionnaire seeking information on extensive project details as part of its effort to review the ICO ban case.
Elsewhere in Hong’s remarks, he reiterated the government’s commitment to supporting blockchain development with a government budget of 34 billion won, $30 million, in the coming years.
Hong Nam-ki image courtesy to the Ministry of ICT